Fall fashion is about to bloom. If experts are to be believed, both men and women will be flashing brighter colors in their autumn wardrobes.
Top fashion magazines are touting bold colors, more neons and even reflective accents on clothing for fall 2018 for men and women. But how does that translate into the real world of the convention floor?
Robanne Schulman, owner of Plaid Monkey and a wardrobe stylist for executives in Fortune 500 companies, says there is a way to be comfortable, yet trendy, while working a trade show or convention.
“Most people, when they are on the floor, know their audience is going to be spending money, so they don’t want to dress too flashy,” Schulman says. “But you do want to look current and updated.”
A pencil skirt and nice blouse can be dressed up in the fall trends, and that’s what Schulman expects will be seen in the fall.
Some trends include:
1. Sequins. “Sequins are huge this spring and they will be huge in the fall,” Schulman says. “But you aren’t going to see that one on the trade show floor. You will see it at the cocktail parties during the convention.”
2. Animal prints. Some type of animal print always trends, Schulman says. This year the leopard print will be back. Snakeskin will also be trending. “You could wear a leopard print shirt, a black pencil skirt and flats on the floor and be trendy. A leopard print is timeless. And if you don’t want a leopard print shirt, wear it in a shoe.”
3. Graphic stripes, neon colors and jewel tones. Wine-hued apparel will trend as the days get cooler. Schulman says if graphic stripes and neon colors are too bold for the convention floor, try using them as an accent, such as in a neckerchief or scarf.
4. Boots. Shoe boots, or shooties, mid-calf boots and knee-high boots will all be back for fall, Schulman says. And here is where a woman can add animal print or color to her wardrobe, through her footwear.
5. Berets. Berets are starting to make a comeback for women in headwear.
1. Informal suits. Fashion magazines are touting the boxy jacket and relaxed pant for men. Schulman suspects, however, men on the trade show floor will still trend toward khaki pants and sports jackets.
2. Bright colors, including neon. Much like the women’s trend, bright colors will be making a statement for men this fall. Where those colors may show up is in footwear, Schulman says, such as a neon loafer.
3. Utilitarian looks. Some of the shiny metal trends will make their way to men through jackets and other outerwear through a more utilitarian look.
4. Upon further reflection. Reflective accents on jackets and outerwear will also be trendy this fall, fashion magazines predict.
5. Fedoras. Much like the beret trend for women this fall, Schulman says men will be returning to the fedora for headwear.