If you’ve been to any Connect events, chances are you’ve met Paul Somogyi. The guy tends to stick out, you know, being a whole head taller than most. But contrary to what you might think, basketball isn’t his sport of choice—he prefers the adrenaline rush of skiing. Discover what makes Marriott International’s director of sales for middle market, government and affinity segments tick.
1. My favorite movie is “Young Frankenstein.”
2. I never leave the house without my wallet.
3. If I had to eat one food for the rest of my life, it would be dried fruit and nuts.
4. Growing up, I was sure I would be tall.
5. I know every word to the song “Life on Mars?” by David Bowie.
6. The best gift I’ve ever received was my life.
7. My nickname in high school was Smoji.
8. If you find me in the kitchen, I’m typically whipping up some delicious pasta.
9. At an industry conference or event, you can typically find me meeting new people.
10. I felt most proud in my career when I accomplished 25 years with Marriott.
11. The hardest part about working in the meetings industry is remembering the names of everyone I meet.
12. I believe the most important qualities in a leader are to listen and get feedback.
13. A leader I truly admire is Bill Marriott.
14. My go-to in-flight beverage is water.
15. The destination at the top of my travel bucket list is India.
16. My favorite part of my job is meeting interesting people.
17. The last book I read was… It’s been too long!
18. I think the biggest challenge of hosting an association event is pleasing everyone.
19. My least favorite part about social media is there’s too much of it.
20. In 10 years, I’m betting that the meetings industry will be spectacular!
21. My first job was a front desk clerk.
22. The last item of clothing I bought was a shirt from Express.
23. The celebrity I’d most like to spend a day with is Sandra Bullock.
24. If I could move anywhere in the world, I’d live in Spain.
25. My dream event to attend is the Winter Olympics, specifically downhill ski racing.